How To Lose Weight : Tips & Tricks
Losing weight is a long term treatment and it requires dedication to maintain the reduced weight . If you want permanent and effective weight loss, itll take some time, as there is no overnight solution to it. Motivation, proper eating habits and exercising are the essential factors in weight loss which will lead to good health.
Weight loss rate varies from person to person
Some people lose weight at a slow but steady pace, some drop a great deal fast at the onset, only for it to plateau shortly after, and some lose a little in the initial stages but more farther down the road in the weight loss journey.
Work on short term goals
Small goals are easier to reach than larger ones. Instead of trying to lose 40 pounds, work towards shedding 5. Doing so, will build confidence and motivate to keep going.
Exercise is not a ticket to eating unhealthily
Some people feel that they earned the right to overeat or treat themselves to unhealthy foods because they ran 10 kilometers and spent 45 minutes lifting weights or took part in an hour-long spin class. This may be true when you have the metabolism of a 15-year-old, but for most of us this isnt the case. Believing so can undermine your goal of maintaining a healthy weight. While the benefits of regular exercise cannot be glossed over, nutrition reigns supreme. Ask most experts and theyll tell you the same.
Be mindful of what, when and how much youre eating. Do you see any triggers?
Self-awareness can prove a useful tool when trying to lose weight, allowing you to make swift adjustments that can ultimately be the difference maker.
When we are stressed, a hormone called cortisol is released to fight the given stress. In order to fight this stressor, whatever it is, we need energy in the form of food. Our appetite, therefore, is increased. And why do we gravitate towards unhealthy, high-carb, high-sugar and/or high-fat foods? We do so because these foods are energy-dense, rich and instantly satisfying. They provide an immediate but temporary release from the stress, A sense of comfort, A distraction. Resorting to these crutch-foods is dangerous for many reasons, not the least of which is weight gain. It is important to recognize the root of the problem and find healthier ways to cope up with lifes stressors.
Some important things which you can do to help:
1. Get to the root of the problem by seeking the help of a mental health professional who can help you find more constructive ways to manage stress or help treat mental health conditions.
2. Introduce more frequent exercise to release tension, get fresh air and to help you stay more fit.
3. Relax. Meditate. Go for a swim. Read a book. Go for a walk with the dog. Find something that relaxes you and makes you feel good.
4. Socialize. Go out with friends and try to forget about stress, at least temporarily. Your body needs a break. Let it recharge and refuel. Perhaps you will get better perspective after you return.
5. Have Pre-plan healthy snacks that you enjoy eating to avoid impulse grabs.
Tips To Help Lose Weight
There are also many practical things you can do when trying to lose weight.
- Keep a log of the food you eat, for yourself and for your nutritionist. Having to take stock of what youre eating can lead to self-reflection and desire for change.
- You can Prepare meals, particularly meal staples, on the weekend to avoid buying take out food during the week.
- Cook at home as much as possible, so you can control the ingredients and portion sizes.
- Use a smaller plate to eat less and, in turn, lose weight.
- When going for a second serving, fill up on vegetables and/or salads.
- During a meal, stop eating for 20 minutes to see if youre full, before eating more. You will often feel satiated. This can go a long way in helping you lose weight.
- Eat slowly and chew to help digestion and to eat less.
- Clear food off the table when youre done eating to avoid post-meal picking.
- Plan your treat meal to avoid guilt.
- Beware of excessive sugar in many places: sauces, jams, ketchups, dressings, sweets etc.
- Use extra-virgin olive oil & apple cider vinegar over store-bought, bottled salad dressing.
- Eat a variety of foods for different nutrients.
- Eat low-density foods: foods with fewer calories in proportion to their weight and volume.
- Boxed or packaged food are often loaded with preservatives, additives, sugar, sodium and stripped of nutrients and fiber. Avoid as much as possible.
- Pass on fried food: high in calories and low in nutrients.
- Reduce refined carbohydrates.
- Alcohol use can lead to many health related diseases. Snack healthy.
- Establish a cut-off time for meals: avoid eating at least a couple of hours before sleep.
Something about protein
Have a portion of protein with every meal, especially at breakfast. Itll keep you full for longer hours.
- Eat eggs: low in calories, high-quality protein plus good biological value.
- Be careful when eating cheese. Its even small portion has lot many calories.
Beware of carbohydrates overload
- If you overeat carbs one day, compensate by cutting back the next day.
- Steam or stir-fry vegetables and add them to your favourite dish. Effectively, you will eat less cereals, reducing your carbs. You can also blend vegetables into your tomato sauce.
- Portion size need to keep in mind while having regular rice.
- Add more bean sprouts to stir-fries while reducing rice or noodles.
- Sweet potatoes are a great alternative to regular potatoes because they are lower in carbs and calories.
- Choose sprouted grain over white and whole wheat bread.
- Replace cereal with oatmeal (without added sugar) because most cereal contains too much sugar and can impede weight loss.
Consume the following:
- nuts & seeds
- chia seeds
- flax seeds
- butter (if you must): choose grass-fed and keep to a minimum
- coconut oil, in moderation
- extra-virgin olive oil
- fish (Pacific salmon, tuna)
- Water: Sip throughout the day to help keep you full and stave off hunger. You can add lemon to your water to improve taste. Herbal tea counts too.
- Replace milk with unsweetened almond, cashew or coconut milk.
- Avoid sports and energy drinks: the sugar content is much too high.
- Limit Iced-Cappuccinos . They are loaded with sugar, which can increase cravings for sweets.
- Avoid sugar in coffee. You can replace sugar with Stevie in your coffee.
Snacks and desserts
- Portion out snacks beforehand to avoid overeating.
- Have healthier snacks visible, reachable and/or readily available while keeping unhealthy ones out of sight. Remember, out of sight, out of mind.
- If you must indulge in unhealthy snacks, share with someone. You will eat less that way.
- Craving an unhealthy sugary snack? Try eating a date with a little almond butter or almond butter on an apple slice.
- Eat plain yogurt as many typical yogurts carry too much sugar. Add fruit, cinnamon and/or organic vanilla extract to sweeten. Read the label carefully though. Vanilla-flavoured yogurt is high in sugar too.